“Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living things, we will not find
Why should you support Second Chance?
Here are eight good reasons
1. Second Chance operates under permits from the Colorado Parks & Wildlife and the
US Fish & Wildlife Service. It is illegal in Colorado for unlicensed persons to possess
wildlife – even for temporary care.
2. Wildlife requires specialized medical care and specialized species-specific diets
to maintain optimum health. Animals cared for by unlicensed, untrained persons are
put at risk for further injury, even death. At Second Chance animals are cared for
by highly trained and skilled wildlife rehabilitators and animal care technicians.
3. Wildlife can carry diseases that are contagious to humans and pets. Unlicensed
persons caring for wildlife put themselves, their families and pets at risk. The
skilled wildlife rehabilitators and animal care technicians at Second Chance are
trained to identify and treat zoonotic diseases.
4. Second Chance is an all volunteer organization. With no high-paid administrative
staff, your donation goes directly to animal care.
5. Second Chance Wildlife Rehab Center has one of the highest release rates in the
state of Colorado.
6. Second Chance is a 501c3 nonprofit. Your donation is tax deductible.
7. Second Chance Wildlife Rehab Center does not receive government money. Our wild
patients rely completely on the generosity of others for funding of their care. The
number of animal admissions to Second Chance varies each year, but averages 750 per
year. It costs an average of $180 to correctly raise one baby bird and an average
of $120 to properly raise one baby squirrel from birth or hatch to release.
8. As Gandhi said, " The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated.” At Second Chance we believe that wildlife rehabilitation
is a very important aspect of community development empowering communities to express
values of fairness, accountability and participation as well as promoting respect
for all life.
You can make a difference! Join us in caring for Colorado’s wildlife. Donate or volunteer